Bathrooms and kitchens are the key spots to renovate in your home. Whether you are looking to refresh an outdated bathroom to give yourself more space and newer appliances, or you are looking to increase the value of your home, renovating your bathroom can be the best project you ever undertake in your bathroom.
Fortunately, there are some simple, inexpensive ways you can renovate your bathroom. Or, if you have a bigger budget, you can go high-end as well. Here is a look at some of the best ways you can renovate your bathroom.
On a Budget
If money is tight, do not despair. If you have an older home with a bathroom several decades old, there are some upgrades you can do to improve the appearance without gutting the entire bathroom. Try low-budget upgrades like:
- Use a flooring or wall background that is not tile – tile is the most expensive option for floors and walls. Consider linoleum or shiplap, which can be done on a budget.
- Paint – do not underestimate the effect that some new, fresh paint can have on a room. Paint the walls and see if that brightens things.
- Update fixtures – consider small upgrades like faucets and lighting. New fixtures can improve the look of a bathroom without totally redoing the whole room.
Relining a Tub
While there are a wide variety of options to replace your shower or tub, some of which can cost thousands of dollars, you might be able to just update them. If your tub is decades old, just having it professionally relined is going to drastically improve the look of your room and will be much cheaper than replacing it.
If trying to save money, you also might be able to replace a tub with a used tub that is in much better condition than what you have.
If you have the money and are looking to renovate to create the bathroom of your dreams, you have a lot of options. Overall, here are the steps you should take when planning a bathroom remodel:
- Decide on your budget – this is the most important step. From here, you can decide what you are able to accomplish.
- How much are you doing? In other words, are you gutting the entire bathroom? If so, you will need to demolish the existing bathroom, hire a plumber to advise on piping, and maybe even an interior designer to help pick out cosmetics.
- Cosmetics – the cosmetics are really the last step. After you get rid of the old bathroom and design the new layout of the bathroom, then you can focus on cosmetics. What type of tub or shower do you want? Are you putting in a double vanity or a single vanity? Do you want to add fancy features like water saving toilets, or high-quality temperature sensitive shower? The cosmetics are where you can add thousands of dollars to your project, but you can also get the bathroom of your dreams.
There are countless ways you can renovate your bathroom. Ultimately, decide what your overall goal is, and get started today!